Friday, November 6, 2009

my own secret garden



In winter, the family and I flee the chilly temperatures in favor of warmer climates. One winter landed us in Barbados at the brand new Sandy Lane Resort. (If you ever get the chance to go here, jump on that chance. It is a place unlike any other.) Father knew someone who knew someone (that's how it always goes with Father) who lived full time on the Island. Mr. and Mrs. ALA will forever remain one of the most beautiful couples I've ever met, both inside and out. And their house? To die for! Shabby chic meets island style, loads of bright blue and white. As Father and Mr. ALA put in their time on the golf course, Mother, Mrs. ALA, and I prepped for a dinner party. We ate outside surrounded by sprawling vines and purple bougainvillea. It was a scene right out of The Secret Garden. I told Mother that night that I wanted the ALA's garden to be the inspiration for the backyard of my future home.

I do have pictures of their garden, however they are in albums and would have to removed and scanned. To tide you over, check out The English Garden or Luxury Private Gardens, both at amazon.com.

(photos: matchflick.com, southernliving.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment